Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Look Back - the event that started it all!!


FIRMMAN - Rhode IslandOcean Swim 1.2 Miles Bike 56 Miles Run 13.1 Miles
September 13th 2009.

This was the event that kicked it all off, Approx 1 year ago. This was my first attempt to complete a ½ Iron Distance triathlon.

We arrived on Saturday to check in. It was overcast and as we got to the beach and walked out we noticed something I had not seen all year. Waves, big 6 foot tall waves. My training had been mainly in the pool and the long island sound (no waves). So this was something new for me to think about. How do you swim through 6 foot waves. Well I had hoped that the next day the waves would be gone but no luck.

On Sunday morning we woke up to rain pouring down. It was around 4:00 in the morning. Rain is one thing but pouring down rain is never fun on the bike. The good news is by the time we got to the event the rain had slowed down and it had stopped raining by the time we got in the water. However, those 6 foot waves were still present.

As the gun went off and my wave entered the water I waded through the waves and actually started to enjoy them crashing into my body. The swim actually was a lot of fun and when I turned the corner of the last buoy to head into the beach I realized something. Those waves that had been so hard to get through at the beginning now would carry me to the beach. I have not body surfed for a long time and I forgot how much fun it was.

The rest of the day went off without any problems. I had a solid ride and the run as always was interesting as I struggled with the conflict between my mind and body. My mind saying it is time to stop and walk and this course has won and my body saying lets go. I finished in my best time to date. To be fair the course was very flat.

The fund raising effort to kick things off was amazing as we raised close to $1000 for that event. Some of my favorite comments from the website for this event are below:

"Hi Shawn, I want to wish you luck on these amazing endeavors! You are a strong athlete with a fortitude of steel, but more importantly, a tender and compassionate heart! The Lazarex Cancer Foundation is so lucky to have you as their advocate. And I am lucky to call you my friend! Wishing you the best! Love, Laurie (a.k.a. Mittens!!)"

"I always thought you might be crazy now your proving it. I guess that push down the stairs really did do some damage. Good luck and stay healthy. Kevin Hammerschmidt"

THANK YOU - To Rachael who supported me during this event.

No comments:

Post a Comment