Sunday, June 27, 2010

Just a Lazy Sunday?


Sometimes in life we fail. However, it is from that same failure that we rise to succeed. Over the past month my training schedule has had me riding 100 miles several times. I have never road 100 miles in one ride before and at the beginning of this day I still had failed to do so. This is a big mental and physical step in preparing for the Iron distance triathlon in Sandusky.

About a month ago I road 80 miles felt good and was well on my way to breaking 100 miles. Then I hit a wall. I kept getting sick during the long rides usually around mile 60 or so. I would try to push through the sickness but I just could not do it. Needless to say my confidence was shaky. If I could not do the bike leg of the event then I would never finish.

When my confidence was shaky Kay was in my corner to tell me "you will figure it out just keep trying". With a new nutrition plan in place thanks to Wayne and the moving of my seat up about a 1/4 of an inch off I went this morning ready to see if the changes would help. The air was cool this morning. The roads were quiet. I love riding in the morning when traffic is light. It is so peaceful. However, that did not last for long as peaceful roads gave away to hill climbs. As people woke up the quiet roads got heavier with traffic. With the temps and humidity starting to climb and eventually reaching around 90 degrees I knew I was in for a tough day. I told myself that I would not be denied today. At 60 miles I got a water and bathroom stop then turned around and started to head back towards Connecticut. Mile 87 and one more final challenge the final climb back over Mountain Rd. I had climbed the other side of this mountain 4 or so hours earlier but with almost 90 miles on my legs now and the sun out in full force this climb with its 6% - 13% grades was the final challenge standing in my way to reaching the 100 miles. Up the hill and over, YES. 10 more miles of rolling hills and 100 miles is now a reality. An average pace of 16.93 mph a little over 6 hours in total. A 7 mile cool down to spin the legs out, pedal home and reflect about accomplishing this milestone.

I could have never have done this if is was not for two people. Wayne who helped me figure out how to ride for over 6 hours and not get sick to my stomach and Kay well because when I was having doubts she never did. She believed in me the entire time. These 107 miles are dedicated to the both of them. Thank You so much for all of the support.

No comments:

Post a Comment