Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A day of reflection June 22, 2010. 82 days until Sandusky


This picture was taken at that start of the IronMan Mooseman 70.3. I am in the blue cap (haha)

Over the past 5 years I have ran a lot of miles, to many to count. I have accomplished things that I never thought I would and most of these endurance events have been for a cause. The cause is to do my part in helping to fight and find a cure for cancer.

Through these experiences I have learned that the body is strong and that the mind is even stronger. That what seemed impossible 6 years ago now comes a little easier. Perhaps this is the test. Perhaps this is the point.

I remember my first marathon I never thought the miles would end. The doubt in my mind of if I could drag my body 26.2 miles was with me every step of the way.

I am writing this because I feel that I am back at that place of the unknown again. A place I have not been for years. The place that I am sure a lot of cancer patients
experience. The fear of the unknown is a scary place. The thoughts of uncertainty that creep into your mind can be overwhelming.


It seems simple but for some reason it is not. You just remind yourself that up to this point in life you know that you are a strong person. You know everything up to this point has prepared you for the challenge ahead. However, for some reason the doubt creeps in. Can I truly do this? Am I strong enough? Do I have enough fight in me?

However, deep down inside we do know that the body is strong and the mind is even stronger. At the end of the day what seems to be impossible becomes a little easier. The challenge that was once unreachable is now in sight and very much accomplishable. I applaud you. I cheer for you. I want to be there for you. However, we also know that this is something that each individual must accomplish on his or her own. The cheering helps. It makes you smile and gives you strength but ultimately it is up to you. You must dig deep and find that inner strength that you did not know you had until that very moment.


One of my favorite quotes that has been posted on the website comes from Kornelia Moysis.

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." Arthur C. Clarke

My friends I ask that you reach out to someone today not tomorrow TODAY who is fighting cancer and say hi. The support helps. Friendly conversations help. Words of encouragement help. At the end of the day we know our body is strong and the mind is even stronger but we all can use a little help and a reminder from time to time.


A day of reflection June 22, 2010. 82 days until Sandusky

No comments:

Post a Comment